May 8, 2013

Correlation

Last month my blog received more pageviews than it had in any other month of its existence.  I wondered why, and thought there might be a strong correlation to the number of posts published that month.  So, being a good scientist, I made a graph.  Here's a scatter plot showing the number of pageviews my blog had in a month (y axis) based on the number of posts I made that month (x-axis).

I used Excel to find the regression line:

y = 43.132x + 24.869

This means that in months that I don't post anything, I can expect about 25 pageviews.  For months that I do publish things, I can expect about 43 pageviews per post on top of the 25.

But being a good scientist, I also realize that there are other variables that I haven't accounted for.  Sometimes I "promote" certain blog posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Google +.  I didn't account for that - oh well.



No comments:

Post a Comment