March 28, 2012

What's in a name?

Some of my friends helped me come to a realization the other day - as it turns out, I have very strong opinions about very inconsequential topics.  (Best map projection, best brand of pencil, how many continents there really are, and whether or not Pluto is a planet, to name a few.)  This may or may not be related to me being somewhat of a grammar/orthography stickler.



Anyways, I have opinions about names.  I'm a big proponent of traditional names and traditional spellings.  (Names specific to one's heritage and/or culture are cool, too).  I'm not going to go into too much detail other than that (for fear of offending someone).

My mother shared this article (click) with me, and I thought it was intriguing.  It's the inspiration for this post, I guess.  (That, plus I met a girl named "Courtlin" this week.) 

That reminded me of a couple other name-related things - here and here.

from The Far Side by Gary Larson.  I hope posting this isn't illegal.

1 comment: